Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

One of Those Days: Perception

There are some days where I feel like everyone I pass is thinking the same thing about me. Positive or negative, everyone is giving off the same energy.

I'm in the habit of smiling at people. No matter if I have a relationship with them or not, I'll smile. I try to give off the same happy vibe every day. I just think it's the right thing to do. And I learned in high school that some people had a negative impression of me because I was quiet before you got to know me. So I smile. It makes me feel good, and hopefully it makes someone else feel good, too.

The other day, I was doing my usual smiling routine, but I felt like no one was smiling back. No one cared, no one was happy to see me, it was like I didn't belong. It was kind of disheartening, and I felt a little out of place in what I consider my second home. I took refuge in my room, knowing it would probably change tomorrow.

The very next day, everyone was smiling at me. Even people that haven't in the past. I was feeling great, they were clearly feeling great. A complete 180 from the day before. And in just 24 hours, I went from feeling out of place to asking myself "Sarah, what were you thinking! Everyone loves you here; how could you not belong?" I ended the day in the best mood I'd been in all week, feeling nothing but love towards all of my peers.

I don't know if these days are all about me: what I'm thinking, how I feel, if I'm imagining things. I do think that, to an extent, we create our own reality. Or maybe a lot of people were just having an off day?
But I find it fascinating that our perception can change so quickly. I keep finding evidence that not much is as it seems. What you see is not always what you should be getting.

And I have one piece of advice: Smile! It won't kill you, and you just could be making someone's day. If it's that simple, why wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment