Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

SO. Last Tuesday, I tried my hand at Black Bean burgers, via the recipe on Skinnytaste. 
I doubled the recipe so that I could freeze some patties. (I had another one tonight!)
Here's how it went down. 

Mashed up the beans.

It was hard work!
Set 'em aside.

THIS happened.
Let me tell you how:

sriracha

cilantro

Oats (don't have to be GF but I wanted to make them mama friendly)

Actually dislike this spice, but wanted to follow recipe.

Two of these bad boys.

NOT PICTURED:
scallions, garlic, red pepper, salt. 
Sorry 'bout it.

So all of that went into the food processor,
and then in with the beans. 

You get this:

ew! 

Mixed that all together, stuck it in the fridge to firm up for 30 min
then formed the mixture into 8 patties.

Into the freezer for 2 hours (or however long you want)

BAM!


Threw them onto a skillet greased with grapeseed oil,
medium heat,
7 mins on each side.


AND THEN ONTO MY BUN:

Tomato, honey mustard, avocado, ketchup, sriracha mayonnaise (just mayo + sriracha)
I was GOING to do the chipotle mayonnaise but the chipotles I bought got lost somewhere between the checkout stand and my house. Woops?

I also made this cute salad with a peach walnut vinaigrette
(Peach Balsamic, EVOO, walnut dijon mustard, honey)


WHAT IS THE VERDICT??

I liked them! They were very delicious and satisfying.
A couple of changes I would make:
Less cumin. Or none. It's a very overpowering spice and one I don't care too much for anyway.
The burgers stayed together fine; they were actually a bit dry. I would probably add a bit more sriracha and maybe a little less time in the pan? I'd have to play with it. 

Decided I really don't like mayo. I'd be open to trying the chipotle mayo, but I think I'm good with just ketchup and mustard. And avocado. You NEED avocado.

I would definitely make these again. Such a good burger alternative. 
I'll cook again soon and do better with pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment