Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Peach Cobbler Scones

Is this a baking blog now?? 
Maybe just a Joy the Baker copycat blog. 
Yes, that sounds accurate.


 Check out her full, detailed, beautiful picture-laden post, but I'm gonna tell you how it went down in my kitchen.

Ingredient Roundup!
Taking a picture is so much better than a list.
Ok, here we go. If you're playing along, preheat the oven to 400.
Dry ingredients!

Sifted the flour (3 cups)

FYI..while I was doing this, Danae and Hannah were doing Google searches like this:

And I labored on.
1/4 cup sugar.
 *artsy*

Three tsp of this:

 1/2 tsp of this:

 Cubed the butter (a stick and a half because i subbed butter for the shortening)
The butter was 'cut in,' a term I had to Google and a term I'm pretty sure I've Googled before.
I think I know now. Also I found out AFTER these were done that we had a pastry cutter. But you should have seen me strugglin' with two butter knives. Good times.

Ok once the butter is cut in, go ahead and add those wet ingredients!
(That would be the beaten egg, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and a tsp of vanilla extract)
Get it all nice and incorporated into a dough...

Now KNEAD.

After you've kneaded and rolled it out into a 12" x 10" rectangle (or somewhere thereabouts), brush some buttermilk onto one half of the dough:

Mix some cinnamon (3/4 tsp) and sugar (2 tbsp) ... everyone's favorite activity.

 
Ignore creepy hand under glass.

I used about 3 small peaches to layer the one side of dough.... I would suggest to use more!
Sprinkle the cinnasugar on top!
 (Be generous, now)

 Skipped a couple steps here. Fold over the dough, cut into 8 pieces (or more! these are big).
Brush more buttermilk on top of every scone, and sprinkle with MORE cinnasugar! Yay!

 Throw 'em in the oven for about 15 minutes, let cool for a bit just so we don't burn anyone's tongue off, and serve with ice cream!

 Aaannd a close-up of the beauties: 

What's the Verdict?
Well. I ate two, so, there's that.  
But f'real, these were good. The dough is fantastic. I think it's the buttermilk that really makes it. The cinnasugar was not overpowering. I love that taste so I could have stood more. 
I would definitely add more peaches. That was my fam's one criticism as well. A LOT of dough, not enough peach flavor. I also only had white peaches that may or may not have been totally ripe. I would try to find yellow peaches next time. It would be prettier, too.
I also might make them smaller. I ate two because I'm insane, and it was spaced out over 3 hours. But it's a lot to get through, and not the lightest thing in the world (but also not the heaviest).

These are pretty simple to make, a crowd pleaser, and a little different than a normal cake, pie, cookie, y'know. 
Try them! And then go make everything else Joy the Baker has.
*fangirling*

No comments:

Post a Comment