Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Operation: Watch Movies That I Probably Should Have Seen Already


My lovely friend Charmaine is a movie buff. She is also an overachiever, for when I asked her for some movies I should see, she sent me this extensive, categorized list. Who doesn't love a categorized list? So my goal is to have all of these watched by the end of this year. I've crossed out those I've already seen and will continue to do so, along with the date watched! Thanks, Char xoxo

Charmaine’s List of Favorites and Must See Movies
(In no order of importance plus I’m sure I missed a few titles)

Old Musicals (they don’t make them like they used to)
  • Singing in the Rain 
  • Oklahoma
  • Carousel
  • The King and I
  • My Fair Lady
  • Mary Poppins
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
  • Brigadoon
  • The Sound of Music
  • West Side Story
  • The Pajama Game
  • Sweet Charity 
  • Guys and Dolls
  • Daddy Longlegs 
  • Funny Face
  • Funny Girl 
  • An American in Paris
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • The Wizard of Oz 
  • Bye Bye Birdie
  • Viva Las Vegas 
  • Damn Yankees
More Contemporary Musicals
  • Moulin Rouge!
  • Grease
  • Little Shop of Horrors 
  • Hairspray
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Sweeney Todd (Tim Burton)
  • Rent (of course)  
  • Chicago
  • Hair 
  • Nine 
  • Godspell
  • Dreamgirls
  • Fame 
  • Cinderella 
Shout out to all the Disney Classics plus Enchanted

My Favorite Old Movie Actors

Cary Grant
  • Notorious
  • North by Northwest
  • To Catch a Thief
  • Charade
  • An Affair to Remember (and then immediately watch Sleepless in Seattle afterwards)
  • Houseboat
Audrey Hepburn
  • Roman Holiday
  • Sabrina
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  • Charade
  • My Fair Lady (Musical)
Katharine Hepburn
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • Bringing up Baby
  • Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Other Old Movies
  • Casablanca
  • Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  • Auntie Mame
  • Sunday in New York
  • Gidget
  • When a Man Answers
  • Doris Day films (like Lover Come Back or Send Me No Flowers)
  • On the Waterfront
  • Goodbye Girl
  • Barefoot in the Park
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Gone with the Wind
Moving into the 70s and 80s
  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (everything John Hughes)
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Flashdance
  • Sixteen Candles (plus Pretty in Pink)
  • Breakfast Club
  • The Princess Bride
  • Risky Business
  • Sandlot
  • Say Anything…
The 90s
  • Sister Act 
  • Clueless
  • Sleepless in Seattle (the young Meg Ryan)
  • Remember the Titans
  • Romeo+Juliet (the very young Leonardo di Caprio) 
More Contemporary Films (with an emphasis on romance and comedy)
  • Bridesmaids
  • Easy A
  • Crazy, Stupid, Love
  • Bridget Jones’s Diary
  • She’s the Man
  • Bend it Like Beckham
  • Mean Girls
  • The Devil Wears Prada
  • Slumdog Millionaire 
  • Shakespeare in Love *want to see again
  • Pride and Prejudice *want to see again
  • Shout out to Tim Burton
  • Ever After (Drew Barrymore)
  • The King’s Speech
  • The Harry Potter Series -- need to watch last one
Children’s Films
  • Tangled
  • Everything Pixar (from Toy Story to Monsters Inc.)
  • Disney (Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, The Goofy Movie…)
  • Miyazaki Films (Japanese animation with spectacular storylines that are unlike anything in the US)
    • Spirited Away
    • My Neighbor Totoro
    • Princess Mononoke (definitely not a kid’s movie)
    • Kiki’s Delivery Service, THEY’RE ALL GREAT 
Movies in Theaters
  • My Week With Marilyn
  • Hugo (for artistry if not storyline)
  • The Actor (a silent film)
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

1 comment:

  1. Typical Char... I've seen some of these movies but she certainly has me beat! Although I have gone to the movie theater three times now (and once in NYC!) which was my goal since I never go at school.

    ReplyDelete